Jazz Pharmaceuticals Launches Initiative to Help Educate People Living with Rare Form of Leukemia
Within the hematology oncology community, certain patient groups face especially difficult odds. In particular, patients newly diagnosed with sAML and related blood disorders have few resources focused on disease education and managing daily life that are dedicated to this community. As a subtype of AML, which has the lowest survival rate of all leukemias1, sAML has a particularly poor prognosis.2,3
"During Blood Cancer Awareness Month, we reflect on the unwavering strength of patients, caregivers, families and healthcare providers battling or impacted by blood cancer," said
Find the Right Fit—Nagivating sAML offers patients and their caregivers a powerful collection of tools, including articles, videos, and patient stories, intended to educate on the science behind sAML, provide information on which subtypes patients should be tested for, and offer resources regarding treatment options and coping strategies. The program also shares the stories of patients, which are featured to help those impacted by sAML relate to the various experiences and perspectives that exist within the community.
"In addition to the support available through the
Making up approximately 30 percent of AML cases, sAML can spread quickly and requires a specialized treatment approach, which is why it is important that patients know what to discuss with their doctors in order to pursue the route best suited for their unique needs.3-7 By listening to advocacy groups, patients and their care teams, Jazz hopes to continue evolving the Find the Right Fit program to better serve those living with an sAML or MDS diagnosis.
"With 16 years of experience at the
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is a type of cancer in which the bone marrow makes abnormal myeloblasts (a type of white blood cell), red blood cells, or platelets.3 It can sometimes spread to other parts of the body including the lymph nodes, liver, spleen, central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), and testicles.8 AML is a relatively rare disease representing 1.1 percent of all new cancer cases.9 It is estimated that more than 19,500 people will be diagnosed with AML in
About Jazz Pharmaceuticals
As the largest professionally led nonprofit network of cancer support worldwide, the
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Updated data on blood cancers. 2019-2020. https://llsorg.prod.acquia-sites.com/sites/default/files/file_assets/PS80%20Facts_Book_2019-20_FINAL.pdf. Accessed September 1, 2020.
- Granfeldt Østgård LS, Medeiros BC, Sengeløv H, et al. Epidemiology and clinical significance of secondary and therapy-related acute myeloid leukemia: a national population-based cohort study. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(31):3641-3649.
National Cancer Institute. Adult acute myeloid leukemia treatment (PDQ®) – patient version. https://www.cancer.gov/types/leukemia/patient/adult-aml-treatment-pdq. Updated March 6, 2020. Accessed September 1, 2020.
- Nagel G, Weber D, Fromm E, et al.
German Austrian AML Study Group(AMLSG). Epidemiological, genetic, and clinical characterization by age of newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia based on an academic population-based registry study (AMLSG BiO). Ann Hematol. 2017;96(12):1993-2003.
- Leone G, Mele L, Pulsoni, A, et al. The incidence of secondary leukemias. Haematologica. 1999;84(10):937-945.
- Cheung E, Perissinotti AJ, Bixby DL, et al. The leukemia strikes back: a review of pathogenesis and treatment of secondary AML. Ann Hematol. 2019;98(3):541-559.
- DiNardo CD, Cortes JE. Mutations in AML: prognostic and therapeutic implications. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2016;1:348–355.
American Cancer Society. What is acute myeloid leukemia (AML)? https://www.cancer.org/cancer/acute-myeloid-leukemia/about/what-is-aml.html. Updated August 21, 2018. Accessed September 1, 2020.
- SEER Stat Facts: AML. 2020.
American Cancer Society. Key statistics for acute myeloid leukemia (AML). https://www.cancer.org/cancer/acute-myeloid-leukemia/about/key-statistics.html. Updated January 8, 2020. Accessed August 26, 2020.
- Baer MR,
George SL, Larson RA et al. Leukemia. 2011 May;25(5):10.1038/eu.2011.9.
- Klepin HD. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2014;2014(1):8-13.
- Goldstone AH, Burnett AK, Avivi I et al. Secondary acute myeloid leukemia has a worse outcome than de novo AML, even taking into account cytogenetics and age. AML 10, 11, 12 MRC Trials. Blood. 2002;100(88a):(Abstr 322).
- Schiller GJ. Hematol Educ Program. 2013:201-208.
- Kern W, Haferlach T, Schnittger S, Hiddemann W, Schoch C. Prognosis in therapy-related acute myeloid leukemia and impact of karyotype. J Clin Oncol. 2004 Jun 15;22(12):2510-1.
- Peccatori, J and Ciceri, F. Haematologica. 2010 Jun; 95(6):857–859. doi:0.3324/haematol.2010.023184.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/jazz-pharmaceuticals-launches-initiative-to-help-educate-people-living-with-rare-form-of-leukemia-301133085.html