PharmaMar and Jazz Pharmaceuticals Announce Initiation of Confirmatory Phase 3 Clinical Trial of Zepzelca® (lurbinectedin) for the Treatment of Patients with Relapsed Small Cell Lung Cancer
"We are very excited about this trial, which is designed to reinforce lurbinectedin as a second-line treatment of choice in the
"There has been strong clinical demand for Zepzelca following the
LAGOON is a Phase 3, randomized (1:1:1), multicenter, open-label clinical trial with three arms: one arm to receive lurbinectedin 3.2 mg/m2 as monotherapy (the approved dose in the
The FDA approved Zepzelca under accelerated approval in June 2020 for the treatment of adult patients with metastatic SCLC with disease progression on or after platinum-based chemotherapy. The approval is based on overall response rate (ORR) and duration of response demonstrated in an open-label, monotherapy clinical study. If successful, LAGOON will serve as the confirmatory trial for Zepzelca to secure full approval in the
In 2021, lurbinectedin received marketing authorization in the
About Zepzelca® (lurbinectedin)
Zepzelca is an alkylating drug that binds guanine residues within DNA. This triggers a cascade of events that can affect the activity of DNA binding proteins, including some transcription factors, and DNA repair pathways, resulting in disruption of the cell cycle and eventual cell death.i
Zepzelca is a prescription medicine used to treat adults with small cell lung cancer that has spread to other parts of the body (metastatic) and who have received treatment with chemotherapy that contains platinum, and it did not work or is no longer working. Zepzelca is approved based on response rate and how long the response lasted. Additional studies will further evaluate the benefit of Zepzelca for this use. Zepzelca is not approved as part of a combination therapy or as a first-line maintenance treatment for patients with extensive-stage small cell lung cancer.
Important Safety Information for Patients
Before receiving ZEPZELCA, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- have liver or kidney problems.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. ZEPZELCA can harm your unborn baby.
Females who are able to become pregnant:
- Your healthcare provider should do a pregnancy test before you start treatment with ZEPZELCA.
- You should use effective birth control (contraception) during treatment with and for 6 months after your final dose of ZEPZELCA.
- Tell your healthcare provider right away if you become pregnant or think that you are pregnant during treatment with ZEPZELCA.
Males with female partners who are able to become pregnant should use effective birth control during treatment with and for 4 months after your final dose of ZEPZELCA.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if ZEPZELCA passes into your breastmilk. Do not breastfeed during treatment with ZEPZELCA and for 2 weeks after your final dose of ZEPZELCA. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby during treatment with ZEPZELCA.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Certain other medicines may affect how ZEPZELCA works.
What should I avoid while using ZEPZELCA?
Avoid eating or drinking grapefruit, or products that contain grapefruit juice during treatment with ZEPZELCA.
ZEPZELCA can cause serious side effects, including:
- Low blood cell counts. Low blood counts including low neutrophil counts (neutropenia) and low platelet counts (thrombocytopenia) are common with ZEPZELCA, and can also be severe. Some people with low white blood cell counts may get fever, or an infection throughout the body (sepsis), that can cause death. Your healthcare provider should do blood tests before you receive each treatment with ZEPZELCA to check your blood cell counts.
Tell your healthcare provider right away if you develop:
- fever or any other signs of infection
- unusual bruising or bleeding
- pale colored skin
- Liver problems. Increased liver function tests are common with ZEPZELCA, and can also be severe. Your healthcare provider should do blood tests to check your liver function before you start and during treatment with ZEPZELCA.
Tell your healthcare provider right away if you develop symptoms of liver problems including:
- loss of appetite
- nausea or vomiting
- pain on the right side of your stomach area (abdomen)
Your healthcare provider may temporarily stop treatment, lower your dose, or permanently stop ZEPZELCA if you develop low blood cell counts or liver problems during treatment with ZEPZELCA.
The most common side effects of ZEPZELCA include:
- low white and red blood cell counts
- increased kidney function blood test (creatinine)
- increased liver function blood tests
- increased blood sugar (glucose)
- decreased appetite
- muscle and joint (musculoskeletal) pain
- low level of albumin in the blood
- trouble breathing
- low levels of sodium and magnesium in the blood
These are not all of the possible side effects of ZEPZELCA.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects to Jazz Pharmaceuticals at 1-800-520-5568.
More information about Zepzelca, including Full Prescribing Information and Patient Information, is available here.
ZEPZELCA is a trademark of PharmaMar, S.A. used by Jazz Pharmaceuticals under license.
PharmaMar is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the research and development of new oncology treatments, whose mission is to improve the healthcare outcomes of patients afflicted by serious diseases with our innovative medicines. The Company is inspired by the sea, driven by science, and motivated by patients with serious diseases to improve their lives by delivering novel medicines to them. PharmaMar intends to continue to be the world leader in marine medicinal discovery, development and innovation.
PharmaMar has developed and now commercializes Yondelis® in
About Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc
Caution Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, statements related to
Jazz Media Contact:
Jazz Investor Contact:
Vice President, Head, Investor Relations
PharmaMar Media Contact:
Mobile: +34 606597464
Phone: +34 918466000
Capital Markets & Investor Relations:
José Luis Moreno– Capital Markets & Investor Relations Director
María Marín de la Plaza – Capital Markets & Investor Relations
Phone: +34 914444500
iZEPZELCA (lurbinectedin) Prescribing Information.
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pharmamar-and-jazz-pharmaceuticals-announce-initiation-of-confirmatory-phase-3-clinical-trial-of-zepzelca-lurbinectedin-for-the-treatment-of-patients-with-relapsed-small-cell-lung-cancer-301442832.html